In preparation for summer.... well ok i'm DREAMING of summer.... this would be a great variation of traditional coleslaw. i'm going to the grocery store on my way home to pick up a head of cabbage so i can make this and pretend its summer. i may even have a picnic on my floor. practice for a real picnic.
Cilantro Cabage Slaw
• 1/4-1/3 head green cabbage
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 green onion, sliced or minced
• 1 teaspoon chopped jalapenos or 1 teaspoon serrano chili, to taste
• 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds or 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• salt and pepper, to taste
• Shred or chop the cabbage.
• In a medium bowl, combine the cabbage with all the ingredients.
i used miracle whip instead of mayonaise
i add more cilantro (i don't measure it... just add lots!)
if i don't have jalapenos in the house i just use chili flakes. delicious.
i use half a juicy lime or a whole lime if it doesn't seem super juicy. to get the most juice out of your lime make sure you take it out of the fridge so its not cold when you squeeze it. if its an especially difficult lime i will pop it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
i don't use the cumin in the recipe.